We all have people in our life that don’t have a relationship with Jesus. Many times they are friends, coworkers, neighbors, or even family. They are people that we love and care about, but are still far from God. We may have already tried to reach out to them, but it seems that they are deaf to what we say.
The Bible tells us that there is a veil over the eyes of people who don’t know Jesus so that they can’t see and understand the good news. Jesus told us that no one can come to the Him unless the Father draws that person to Jesus. So that begs the question: how can I pray for them? Or What specifically can I pray that will have an effect on them? Glad you asked!
Here are several suggestions that you can pray over the people that are in your life:
- Ask God to open their eyes to the emptiness of life without him.
- Ask God to help them see their need for his forgiveness.
- Ask God to remove the confusion they have about him and the life he offers.
- Ask God to help them grasp the meaning and importance of the cross of Christ.
- Ask God to open their heart to God’s love and truth, and draw them to himself.
Here are some suggestions that you can pray for yourself:
- Ask God to help you live a consistent and attractive Christian life.
- Ask God to help make you authentic and honest as you deal with life’s ups and downs.
- Ask God to give you wisdom in knowing how to approach the relationship.
- Ask God to expand your knowledge so you’ll be ready to explain the gospel message.
- Ask God to grant you persistence and patience. Ask God to use you to soon lead this person to trust in Christ.
- Ask God to show you how to best love and serve your friend. Ask God to open doors for ongoing spiritual conversations.
- Ask God to guide those conversations in frequency, depth, and content.
Don’t forget that praying for the people in your life is so important and that not too long ago you were a person without God in your life and someone was praying for you!